Greetings from the High Desert!

By  |  10 Comments

My name is Mickel Paris, and I have just completed my first year of the MLIS program at SJSU. I am on a three-year track and hope to graduate in 2014. Librarianship was not something I had ever considered prior to March of 2011; upon reviewing some job descriptions at my local county library website I realized that the career reflected many of my previous job responsibilities! I have found the education and subjects in LIS School to be fun and complementary to my personality and future goals. I’m looking forward to collaborating with everyone in this course for the semester, and learning much more about this snazzy Hyperlinked Library thing!

Entering Hesperia, CA

For work, I currently own a thrift store and live in Hesperia, CA, which is a small city in the Mojave high desert. It gets really hot here in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. We don’t see much of a spring or fall. I graduated from UC Davis with a BS in Psychology, but returned to the high desert to be near family.

In my free time, I read novels, non-fiction, and write fiction. I’m currently wrapping up a correspondence course at Long Ridge Writers Group, which has developed my writing in ways I’ve only dreamed!

Petey Gonzalez

My little partner in crime is my Chihuahua named Petey Gonzalez. When I have extra time I volunteer at the Hesperia Library. I’m working toward my ultimate goal of becoming an Academic Reference Librarian, and leveraging all the readings and writings completed at SJSU! My academic advisor recommended The Hyperlinked Library course to me and I think it will definitely help me succeed in the LIS world. I drive a Fiat Pop 500… if you happen to pass through Hesperia on your way to Vegas, look out for me… I’m a pretty bad driver!

Fiat Pop 500

looklab

Mickel is an MLIS and the creator of Library Currents. His inspiration for the blog was the SJSU course "The Hyperlinked Library" taught by Dr. Michael Stephens, a course that is also a worldwide MOOC. If you wish to contact him, feel free to write to Mickel Paris at librarycurrents1@aol.com.

10 Comments

1. jlabecker

August 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Hi Mickel,
    I took a trip to the Mojave desert several years ago and really loved it. I’m not sure what part we visited, but it was gorgeous. I especially loved star viewing at night ( I live in the city; I see very few stars). You are lucky to live in such a peaceful place. -Jessica

• Mickel Paris

August 29, 2012 at 8:00 am

It’s very peaceful and the air is somewhat fresh. It gets dusty and windy, but other than that it’s pretty healthy. I could use a nice beach breeze right now though, its been in the 100’s!!

2. Valarie

August 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm

It’s great to meet you, Mickel…but I can’t see Petey or the Fiat. Anyway, I plan to graduate SP 14, so perhaps we’ll graduate together. I’ve really enjoyed the SLIS program so far and hope you do to!
    Kind Regards,
    Valarie

3. Mickel Paris

August 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Nice to meet all of you, and it will be a fun quarter working in a class entirely in social media! Thanks for alerting me on the pics Valerie, I made adjustments and they should appear now!

• Valarie

August 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm

awww…they are both cute! …is it okay to tell a guy his dog and car are cute? =]

…and, best wishes on your writing projects!

4. Pamela Hawks

August 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Cool! What type of fiction do you write? Any publishing plans, or things already published? I love to get a heads up on that!

• Mickel Paris

August 29, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’m working on a sci-fi thriller called “Messiah” and want to publish it digitally through Amazon. It’s a beast of a novel at 300,000 words, so editing is really the thing holding it back. I just finished a short story about a personal investigator in the future hired to find a robot. I think sci-fi in the alternate reaity or alternate future is what appeals to me so far! I’ll definitely send updates through my Twitter!

5. Shiloh Moore

August 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Hello Mickel….I live in Long Beach. My family and I go skiing every year in Mammoth every year- the week after Christmas–so we drive through Mojave. Next time I look for you snazzy Fiat…don’t see many of those in the High Dessert…LOL This is my last semester-if you need any advise let me know. There are several Facebook groups for MLIS in So Cal. too. This is a great group- it’s about the e-Port. never to early to start planning and getting organized! https://www.facebook.com/groups/115600816475/

• Mickel Paris

August 31, 2012 at 8:05 am

Great group suggestion! I sent a request to join. I haven’t looked that far ahead yet, but I’m sure the time we come fast and furiously at us.

6. michael

September 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Welcome to class and thanks for sharing a bit of your world. I’m no a lake in northern Michigan right now and the mornings are already turning fall like! I like your pup and your car. 🙂

You must be logged in to post a comment Login